This is an instance of BookWyrm, a decentralized social reading and reviewing app. It is a small instance in the spirit of runyourown.social, originally run for my own needs, but anyone who agrees with the Code of Conduct is welcome to join. It comes with no guarantees as I am just one human, and I may test new features I'm developing from time to time. That said, I do use it as my primary instance and am fairly capable on the tech side, so it should be relatively stable. If you want to join this server, use the request form to the right. It's helpful if you also shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so I know you requested an invite, and I'd love to hear how you ended up here!
Code of Conduct
This instance is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. This CoC is adapted closely from bookwyrm.social's CoC, which is in turn adapted from friend.camp.
BookWyrm is administered by Joel Bradshaw, who can be found locally at email@example.com or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This code of conduct applies to all BookWyrm spaces, including public channels, private channels and direct messages, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the administrators.
Types of Harassment
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, immigration status, religion, or other identity marker. This includes anti-Indigenous/Nativeness and anti-Blackness.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of "dead" or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they're not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like "hug" or "backrub") without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
- Jokes that resemble the above, such as "hipster racism", still count as harassment even if meant satirically or ironically.
- Microaggressions, which take the form of everyday jokes, put downs, and insults that spread humiliating feelings to people of marginalized groups
The administrators will not act on complaints regarding:
- "Reverse"-isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia"
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you."
- Communicating in a "tone" you don't find congenial
- Criticism of racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of BookWyrm, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact an administrator (listed at the top of this document) directly.
The admins reserve the right to exclude people from BookWyrm based on their past behavior, including behavior outside BookWyrm spaces and behavior towards people who are not on BookWyrm. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all BookWyrm spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other BookWyrm members or the general public.
The administrators reserve the right to update the Code of Conduct at any time at their discretion. Updates to the CoC will be communicated to users via email and posts from admin accounts. If you have any concerns about or suggestions for the CoC, please contact an administrator via DM.
This was adapted from the LGBTQ in Tech Code of Conduct and as such is licensed using a Creative Commons Zero License, meaning the contents are in the public domain.
The data you post here lives on a server that Mouse Reeve runs. They promise that he won't look at your private data. You are just going to have to trust them on this.
This is, however, an ActivityPub federated server. This means that other people on other federated servers can find you, send you messages, etc. This also means that any information you put in posts, whether they are public or private, might end up "federated" - basically, a copy of your post gets put on any server that reads your post.